I found an apartment – huzzah!
It’s very reminiscent of my Notting Hill flag back in London:
- cost is similar, both in absolute terms (630 kw vs. 672 gbp monthly) and in terms of being 50% higher than your typical flatshare, but still significantly less than a studio.
- my bedroom is really spacious, maybe 3/4 the size of my old room in NH (which was absolutely GINORMOUS) and comparable in space to a typical 1롬 (“one-room”) studio in Seoul
- I get my own bathroom
- the common area is also very big, as is the TV
- there’s a terrace upstairs: on one hand, it’s significantly bigger and less pidgeon-shit-encrusted than our little balcony in NH, on the other hand it’s not on the parade route of the Carnival
- location: right off of Itaewon, which admittedly is a bit more of an expat ghetto than I’d like, but certainly no shortage of nightlife and central to basically the entire city
- both guys I’m living with are French. Clem and Pierre would be right at home
The only downsides are:
- lack of air conditioning in my bedroom (this will be a problem during the summer)
- a short but steep hill climb (compound the summer problem, plus any time it rains)
- high cost will probably make it hard to find a replacement when I move out
- move in date not until April 10 – most posts on Craigslist are for immediate vacancies
Still, all in all a bit weight off my mind…